View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetbabies View Post
The reason I changed to Natures Balance. My babies got to where they weren't eating the Science Diet so I started giving them scrambled eggs with cheese, boiled chicken, no preservatives turkey and chick lunch meat and chicken livers on occasion, peas, greenbeans. The vet said it wasn't a balanced meal and getting too much protein so she gave me a bag of Purina Pro Plan. After reading the ingredients and doing research it was full of junk in my opinion, no offense. I went to pet store and spent an hour reading the bags of dog food. I was looking at the protein content and fat. Natures balance seemed to be low. What is too much protein for a 5lb. bag of food and what is considered not enough?
When the vet said it wasn't a balanced diet, I think he was referring to your home cooking. Although most are healthy foods, I'm not sure about the chicken and turkey lunch meat, because even thought they say they have no preservatives, they often use salt to preserve, and they often have way to much salt, as well as fat, for a dog. Even if these were ok, it's still not balanced. Remember, a balanced human diet is not a balance dog diet. They need way more calcium than humans, a small yorkie needs as much as a grown women, and you can't give enough cheese to supplement the calcium, cheese also has too much fat and should be used sparingly. Most people who home cook, add supplements especially made for dogs, so unless you are planning to research and add supplements, I suggest you forget about the people food, and remember no processed people food, even the worst dog food is better for them, then processed people food.

Join today and remove this ad!