Thread: Teaching "Sit"
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
MollyAndMe
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaMoon View Post
Is this the right place for this? It seems like lots of people talking about potty training, but I hope other kinds of training go here too.

I've had Bailey for a week, and she is 11 weeks old today. I would really like to start teaching her simple commands like sit, stay, etc.

I'm a big "It's Me or the Dog" watcher and have Victoria Stilwell's book. I was always planning to try her methods of just holding a treat in front of the dog and letting them lick it but not have it until they do the behavior you want. I was wondering if anyone uses this method and how it works for you. I've tried to do this waith Bailey a couple times but she never sits. She mostly jumps. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough, but at her age I want to keep it short and fun.

I can tell Bailey will be a fast learner because she already knows the "watch me" command pretty well. This kind of came by accident because when I would hold up one of her balls or toys to throw she would stop and look up at me, waiting. I decided since she already did this to put the words and hand gesture with it. Now when she hears me say "watch me" she will often stop, look up at me and wait. And she will even do it while I'm standing.
That's Awesome that you already have her trained with 'Watch Me'. So many dog owners don't even cover this command, and I think it's VERY important.

"Sit":
Sit on the floor with Bailey and make sure your using treats that are simply irresistable to her. Or, you could even use her ball as her 'treat'. [only throw it when she's sitting].
And remember to repeat 'sit' constantly; and give her ALOT of praise and 'good girl''s!
If she won't sit on her own, or by command, first you could use the 'follow the treat' technique. Let her see the treat, hold it above her nose and start raising it above her head bringing it toward her backside. When a dog's head goes up and back, bottom's go down. Once it's down, praise and treat. And remember to be repeating 'sit'.
If this dosen't work at all, you could place one hand under her chest raising up and gently pushing down on her rear. even if you have to keep your hand on her to keep her sitting, still give her a treat and let her know your proud of her. [reverse psychology ].

Hope this helps!

You can message me with any questions you have.
Dog training is a small hobby of mine.

Good Luck.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!