View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
CherOKchic
Yorkie Yakker

Default Every State is Different...(long)

Hi, I am an apartment manager in OK and I can tell you that each state has its own laws...some of which favor landlords over tenants so definately do some research.
1. Search net for your state + "Landlord & Tenant Act"
2. Get copies of your signed agreement...most states have laws that require anyone to request copies of any legal agreements, most times at no cost...contact your management and politely ask for copies, if you are uncomfortable w/ this just tell them you have to provide proof of residency for a student loan or other.
3. In your lease look for sections that pertain to Pets, Breach of Agreement, Security Deposit terms, damages...

Yorkieangel has some good advice....however here any portion of a security deposit can be kept for money owed (rent or otherwise) and some require a seperate Pet Deposit or Fee. Some will charge up to the time of new rental, others just 30 days....but eviction is always costly on the tenant as long as the landlord goes through the proper steps.

Be careful!! Slumlords will try to take advantage of renters lack of knowledge when it comes to this. Read the L/T Act!! it is an invaluable resource. A walk through is definately recommended in these cases, at least take time/date stamped picks for your records. Our state allows to charge for any damages, which includes carpet replacement...an iffy landlord can use the pets as an "excuse" to get new carpet if they claim the pet odors/stains could not be removed, and still charge for any cleaning/deodorizing of the old carpet.

From my perspective, I would be more willing to compromise w/ a tenant that is honest w/ me....we will always find out, sooner or later, anyways! If your prepared to move for your pets wouldn't you rather do it on better terms and your own than being forced.
Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!