View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
mypreciouspups
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miao View Post
For years, it's always been that if the value of your parcel exceeds CA$60 after current exchange rates, and so forth, there is a duty charged according to type of item plus the appropriate taxes according to your province both federal and provincial. Of course, if they have to collect upon delivery, there is also a customs/postal service charge of what used to be $5 for their trouble. Now this is for packages marked as "gift" where they also have no reason to suspect it's a purchase.

In the past, as I was shipping to the UK, I had purposefully marked a lower value also since it seems the "gift" value allowed there was about the same though I can't recall if it was US$60 or CA$60 but the magic number seemed to have been $60 also.

It's become such a habit of mine to always say $20 to $40 for anything when I'm shipping out so long as it's not something requiring insurance, etc. I don't believe the magic number has changed over the years.
You are correct and this is what the customs site says.. although if they feel like charging pst and gst which again depends on the province's fees.. but I know I got stung with a 25 dollar duty fee on my last years gift exchange.. and the girl sending the gift was not aware of how to do it and said she let ups do the lable up..with that said being a Canadian and having many relatives in the US I have for many many years had parcels sent to me.. and if it is over that magic number of 25.00 whether it says gift or not.. I asked and was told we do not care if it says a gift.. we go by the value that has been stated on the customs slip...
I know others have done the gift exchanges and have had no problems.. I just know I did.. and to have this surprise when your parcel comes is not the greatest when one has just bought and shipped items to there buddie and are excited about the parcel coming.. I just wanted to let people be aware not to over state a price ... thanks for reading my thread.. I just want people to be aware of shipping to canada..
I ordered two dresses and they were 80.00 for the two and knew I would have to pay shipping and yet it came right to me.. so one never really knows for sure how customs works..IMO only

anne
mypreciouspups is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!