View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
ashleyrose36
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Unhappy 2 year old yorkie liver problems!!!

Hi, my name is Ashley and I am new (to posting) on Yorkie talk!! I often search the threads when one of my boys is sick. So I was hoping that you wonderful people may be able to help me. Here, goes...

So this past weekend my 2 year old yorkie Winston was running up the stairs and literally just collapsed on his side. After getting him calmed down, he was very shaky and vomited twice and continued to salivate heavily. He was unresponsive so we rushed him to the emergency vet. AFter waiting an eternity they concluded he likely had a seizure.

So this led to a follow up visit with his regular vet this week that revealed elevated bile acids (58 pre-prandial and 68 post-prandial) which my vet is convinced is not a true liver shunt. We are scheduling an ultrasound next week, but the concern is that it may be microvascular dysplasia. Has anyone dealt with this before?? I've read all the information about diets/supplements/etc and I am considerably worried.

I guess my ultimate question is why was this not recognized earlier. We have done routine blood work and nothing was ever revealed. He has not presented with any of the classic symptoms of liver shunt or MVD. Is it possible that his bile acids may just be high as with other small dogs (i.e. Maltese)?

Thank you so much for any advice/encouragment/help!!!

Ashley Rose & Winnie!!!!
ashleyrose36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!