View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Yorkieville200
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
Let me try to explain why some of the dogs in rescue have high fees.

Let's take my Truman. I went and picked him up at the kill shelter in IN and he was very sick. Although there was no fee to "pull" him out of the shelter there were a lot of vet bills. I took him to my vet for an initial evaluation, blood work and medicine to make him well. That bill was $150. Then I had to take him back to the vet because he had something protruding out of his rectum which turned out to be an anal gland ademona from never being neutered $45. Then he had to be neutered, dental and had 6 tooth extractions the bill for this $168.. Then he was also microchipped, all of his immunizations,heartworm pills and pain meds $97. Now let's add this all up:

*Truman is also on a daily arthritis medicine that costs $38 a month that I haven't figured into the above.

He is listed for adoption for $150. Now granted Truman had a nice amount of donations for YT but that is usually not the case with most of the dog. I would also like to add to this that my vet give HUGE discounts for our rescue and that is not always the nom either. So at this point even if Truman was adopted out tomorrow for the $150 adoption fee his care is still barely covered.

I would like to see where there is a dog on a rescue site that is $2000 I even took a look to at the YTNR site and didn't see any dogs on there with that as an adoption fee. Legitimate rescues are 501 (c)3 not for profit organizations and do not make any profit. Not to say there are not some people out there trying to hide behind the name "rescue" to make a profit so you need to do research on who and what you are dealing with in rescue. That is a very sad FACT.

Jodi,

Takea look at YTNR's site, scroll down to Ellie in Tennessee, her adoption fee is $2,000. Also, the Maltese, Itty Bitty's fee was $2,000. and they just recently changed it to $525.00

Sheila

Last edited by Yorkieville200; 03-31-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: error
Yorkieville200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!