View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
yorkiemum01
Yorkie Talker

Yes, using universal precautions as well for us....all bedding is being
washed in hot water then in dryer for 45 mins., vacumming daily and religous handwashing. I work in the medical field, so I'm pretty aware of how to avoid transmission, and thankfully it was caught early.
So far as the questions about my vet (who I'm very blessed to have, he's top notch) the care/treatment was as follows: Both dogs had a scraping done on tip of ears (as that area was flakey and inflamed from their chronic scratching) and under a microscope, he was able to show me the mites off
both specimens. He recently attended a medical conference where mites and
such were discussed, as the vetranary medicine field has had an over diagnosis of 'allergy, allergy, allergy', according to the speaker, and some vets were missing more straightforward symptoms/diagnosis. Both dogs
received an injection of 'derm' I believe its called, for the itching, and given
a treatment of 'Revolution' (which now will also subsitute their heartworm, as its an all in one treatment). For the first couple days, they remained on benedryl to assist with their chronic itching, but I've noticed over the last day it's susided quite a bit, and with bathing their ears with baby shampoo, they're showing good signs improvments.
yorkiemum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!