Thread: lepto
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasurepuppies View Post
The lepto shot is probably one of the most controversial shots for yorkies. I am looking for advice about this vaccine. My vet tells me that he has seen lepto in our area and strongly advises the shot. He understands my fears of it and knows that many small dog owners are afraid of it. He says he has never had a dog get lepto that has had the shot, but has had dogs get lepto that didn't get it and therefore once again reccomends the vaccine.
I am so TORN UP about this vaccine!!! My breeder friends absolutely hate it, and have had dogs die from it when there was no other factor involved other than the shot. I live on 4 acres and there is deer, raccoon, etc, that frequent my yard where I walk my 9 yorkies. I protect my furbabies from everything, feed them the best I can, treat them like kings and queens, but this is one subject that I just don't know what to do.
My older yorkies have had the shot once before and did not react to it. I have 2 young yorkies that my breeder friend has told me not to get the lepto for.(If I get them the lepto shot, she says the contract for them is void).
Can anyone give me any input about this vaccine? I live in western Pa, near Pittsburgh.
Thanks!
Since you live in a rural area, it sounds like your Yorkies are at risk for lepto. We've seen a couple of cases on a Maltese forum I belong to and it's a devastating disease.

If I were in your situation, I would get the lepto vaccine, but make sure to give it separately, not in a combo shot. I would also pre-treat with Benedryl and make very sure to stay at your vet's at for least a half hour after the shot is given.

I believe Fort Dodge makes the individual lepto vaccines. You can call Revival and get it through them, then have your vet administer it.

Revival Animal Health Products for Pet Professionals, Veterinarians and Pet Lovers
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!