View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
wildcard
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochyl View Post
I want to stud out our dog Buddy. I understand that there are characteristics that breeders want to stay away from and others they want to continue to breed into the dogs. As a visual aide, I was wondering if some of you breeders could post pictures of your dogs as a means of comparison. I can always go by the AKC breed standard, but pictures would also be very helpful. Thanks you in advance.
Your best bet is to enter Buddy in some shows where people who are trained to evaluate breeding stock can see Buddy and you can get a feel for whether he meets the breed standard that way. Most judges are happy to talk to you after their judging is over for that ring time about what they liked and did not like about your dog. It is very hard to understand the subtleties of things like shoulder layback and depth of chest from 2 dimensional photographs, and movement is impossible to evaluate that way without very special photography (and frankly not much easier to see on video unless there is something really "off" about it). If the idea of AKC shows is intimidating you might try something more informal like UKC or an international show (where you even get a written critique) to start.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!