View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

When I brought Jackson home (I live w/ my parents still - in college) they have a 4 year old cockapoo named Carmen. She's a larger one though, about 30 pounds or so. Carmen did the same type of stuff. The first day I brought Jackson home, Carmen completely ignored Jackson and acted like he wasn't even there. lol. I tried to get her to come sniff him and stuff but she wouldn't. The next day, she definitely knew he was there and he was staying. She was very jealous. Any time I called Jackson's name, she'd come running over and slobber me with kisses, etc. She started growling at him if he came too close to her and she was sleeping, etc. Especially if she had a bone or toy in her mouth, she'd growl. She nipped him good two times where he sort of yelped. The first 2 weeks went by and I thought they'd never be friends. Now they play all the time and for the most part are the best of friends!!

Basically, I think it just takes time. Make sure you give your old dog MORE or just as much attention as the new puppy. Give them all the same things. Whenever I fed Jackson, I HAD to feed Carmen too because she would get upset if I didn't, lol. When I bring Jackson home a bone, I have to get her one too. etc. It's funny because Carmen is not even "my dog" or "my responsibility" but she has become mine since I got Jackson, lol.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!