View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
dogbert
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (WCCO) ― A Twin Cities family is fighting to keep one of its pets after the city says they have too many. The brother and sister live together in Brooklyn Center with their three dogs, but city officials say they can only have two.

Pat Laurin and her brother Ron Ruppert consider themselves a family of five. Their two younger Yorkies take care of their older one, who is blind. So, when the city showed up a few weeks ago on a barking complaint, they weren't prepared for what else they brought with them.

"I said 'Yes, I got three dogs.' Well he says, 'You got to get rid of one because the ordinance says you can only have two,'" Ruppert said.

Two dogs and three cats is the maximum number Brooklyn Center allows.

Brooklyn Center Mayor Tim Willson said there's been complaints against the ordinance in the past but it's there to protect neighbors against foul orders and noise.

Now, Pat and Ron must make their case to the city council to keep all three.

"I'm going to tell them I think you have better things to do with your time than to worry about some little four pound dog," Ruppert said.

After spending years together as a family, their decision has already been made, no matter what the city decides.

Brooklyn Center has to remove a dog from a home about once a month, but the mayor said it's usually because of a dangerous dog situation. He calls a case like this one very rare.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!