Thread: How awful.....
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Do not misinterpret what I am about to say as in any way condoning this abandonment. It's just that I got a different read on the situation you described...

Who goes to dog parks but dog lovers? Perhaps the person who left the dog there did so believing it was better than taking their pet to an animal shelter where the pet would be killed after a certain number of hours. I'm not advocating this but I can imagine this scenario. The person who left the pet may have considered this a safe haven where someone who loved dogs would assume responsibility.

Unfortunately, as this economy continues to go south, I am afraid we are going to witness many more cases of pet abandonment. My word, we even are hearing of children being left at safe havens when parents can no longer support...feed their children. Do you really think leaving either is done if there is any other solution?

In my opinion, society is becoming too judgmental and harsh on people who have to make difficult choices. Thank God we have not been placed in those situations where we keep a pet/child only to see it suffer and starve to death because we cannot provide for it.

All I can see when someone leaves a loved one (albeit child or pet) at a safe haven is the anguish that decision must have cost the person who left the loved one. To do so must have meant that there was no other option...no other possible solution available.

Instead of society criticizing, we need to come up with a more humane and reasonable way for people to solve such issues. Our ignoring the situation or labeling the owner/parent as irresponsible is not helping anyone. When all else has been attempted, what is left as a choice? Taking a chance that someone will nurture the pet/child or killing your loved ones and yourself?

Both situations are reality in today's world. Which would you choose to do? Leave the pet where it had no chance after 72 hours or leave it at a place where it might have a chance to be loved? The worst outcome in either scenario is death but in one case, there might be life and love for your beloved companion. If the owner only wanted to abandon the pet, why not drive to a deserted area and just push it out into the world? I think the pet owner thought they could at least give their pet a fighting chance to live...

What would you do if faced with total helplessness and hopelessness? Not an easy decision, is it...and in your case and mine it was merely a pause for thought...
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!