View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
KodysMom
Yorkie Yakker

Confused probiotic question

Hi Everyone, My dog Kody has MVD (no biopsy) but confirmed no shunt through scintegraphy, ultrasound and CT scan (long story on the CT)... but had a severe bout of liver issues last summer and it took him four months to recover with special diet (I work with Cornell nutritionist). He is doing amazing - his blood levels are great and rock solid. I had them tested about 6 weeks ago at the latest.

After his last bloodwork (almost three days later actually) he started getting
diarrhea. Of course with his metronidozole, I can increase the dosage and get it under control (some days take more than others). Under the advisement of his nutritionist (Cornell) we would test him using various things in his diet and have since eliminated all fruits and vegetables and while it isn't as bad as it was using insoluble fiber he has had another flair up after 5 days of stability. We wanted to try to the probiotic route and was recommneded by my nutritionist the FortiFlora which I know those with liver babies are wary of (and i get it - I read the ingredients) and there is a new one that i can't seem to get my hands on by IAMs that is milk based called
prostora... Does anyone else have suggestions? He is doing great otherwise and super, super playful but this is something I'd like to resolve and see what you guys have found...

I posted this on the liver site also but wanted to test the waters here for a response also... thanks!
KodysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!