View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilize View Post
You mentioned that you just want a puppy as a pet. So, why then are you planning to pay for a show dog? I think that you know what you want and what you need, so why not keep looking and find a pet quality puppy. You end up paying less and then you can spend the money on the pup and buy loads of treats and toys

Disclaimer: I am not saying, in any way, that a show dog isn't a great buy. I am sure that there are loads of people (myself included) that would love to have a dog with so many CHs in the bloodline, but I just figure that if you are not going to show, why pay the extra moola?
You are really doing your part to improve the breed when buy from the best breeders. Most show breeders sell with limited registration, meaning you can't breed the dog anyway. If you are planning on breeding and showing, you need to establish a relationship with a breeder, who will become your mentor, and probably have co-ownership of your dog. Probably 90% or more of show breeders dogs are sold as pets, they are not sold as breeding dogs. I understand that there is not enough show breeders to meet the demand for dogs, and some people can't afford the price. There is also the factor that most show breeders are extremely fussy about which homes their dogs will be placed. I believe that you should only support the best of breeders, and you are enabling the best breeders to continue their breeding programs when you buy their dogs. This is one way to ensure only the best of the best will be bred, and 100 years from now, you will still be able to find a Yorkie that looks like a Yorkie.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 03-25-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!