View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

If people can afford it, I always recommend they go to a YTCA breeder, this is the mother club of the AKC, and sets the standard. These breeders are show breeders, (not all show breeders are members), but they also believe in breeding healthy dogs, because they are developing a "line" and will not be in and out of the breeding business. They have the highest ethics, and are actually trying to improve the breed, and are not in the business of "selling dogs." A champion in the line means that the dog's relative met standard, and was an excellent example of the breed, and the offspring has a high chance of meeting standard if both parents were good examples of the breed. Not every champion produces champions, but there is a higher probability their offspring will indeed look like yorkies.

Show breeder's prices are higher than non-show breeders' prices, but they actually make less, and many don't even break even because the cost of showing is very expensive. Showing is not a frivolous thing though; it's the way for others to judge your breeding stock, with an unemotional eye. As owners, we always think our dogs are perfect, but some should not be bred. Right now, there is a tremendous surplus of dogs, and only the best, conforming to standard, and healthiest should be breed. I think of it not so much as buying a dog, but showing monetary support for a breeder whose breeding program meets your approval. I'm not saying every member of the YTCA is perfect, but your odds of getting a healthy dog that looks, and acts like a yorkie are greatly increased. The really hard part of getting a dog from a YTCA member is proving that you will be a fit mother!

I checked the YTCA list and Sheri L. Clark is a member, personally I think this is a great price. Here's the link: Yorkshire Terrier Club of America About The Club . So many people get dogs from byb's, and one leg surgery is more than that. I also recommend registering your dog with the AKC for many reasons, but mainly I believe in supporting the AKC because they are the only registry that does routine unannounced kennel inspections and this will help get rid of puppy mills.

Join today and remove this ad!