View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
tatertot15
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySissy View Post
The only thing I disagree with is your statement about a legit medical reason for having a service dog and training. For most mental health issues, having a "service dog" is for emotional support and there isn't training required for this. The lack of training, however, does not make the need for your animal any less real than other medical reasons. I am only concerned about the mental well being of a person with an emotional support animal, not an obligation to uphold an image, and that well being can be compromised with advertising with a vest and clearly labeled patches and the ADA clearly states that as long as you have your documentation with you (if asked) you do not need to broadcast this information.
Thank you for stating this. My Bandit is my support system. I have thought long and hard about having him registered as a service dog, so I am able to take him where I go, I get major anxiety when leaving him at home and so does he, so I don't leave the house alot but for work, I cry almost every morning when I have to leave him. I do have medical problems but that's not why I need my dog as support. I wouldn't need to have him trained to love me because that's all I need and he already does that. I know if I was asked out in public why I carried my dog everywhere I went I wouldn't tell them the reasoning, just know that people need these things for different reasons. PTSD may not be a good enough reason to some people to have a "service dog" but it's good enough for me and that's all that matters.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!