View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
LuvMySissy
Luv my Angel, too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieK9trainer View Post
There is a big difference between SERVICE DOGS & THERAPY DOGS.

It's reasons, like owners taking advantage of the lack of system in order to take their well natured pets out into complete public access, that cause problems for others.

If you do have a legit medical reason for having a service dog, GET IT TRAINED by a professional and have it's identity as such out and present. This includes a vest or harness with bold, clearly labeled patches and an ID card...at a minimum. Don't let others pet your WORKING DOG. He's out doing a job every second of every day he's with you. You have an obligation to uphold an image as well as a certain level of training.
The only thing I disagree with is your statement about a legit medical reason for having a service dog and training. For most mental health issues, having a "service dog" is for emotional support and there isn't training required for this. The lack of training, however, does not make the need for your animal any less real than other medical reasons. I am only concerned about the mental well being of a person with an emotional support animal, not an obligation to uphold an image, and that well being can be compromised with advertising with a vest and clearly labeled patches and the ADA clearly states that as long as you have your documentation with you (if asked) you do not need to broadcast this information.

Last edited by LuvMySissy; 03-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
LuvMySissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!