View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
hugz4all4
YT 2000 Club Member

Just so you know potty training your pup will be a full time chore. . I have been working with Tucker since the day he came home at 7 weeks and he is just now fully trained at 6 months old. With a lot of accidents in between. Unfortunaly I started out with the pee pads, that is what he was using at the breeders, I figured I would continue. Huge mistake!! I have never inside trained a dog and wont again. All of my dogs were fully housetrained by the time they were 4 month old. Tucker was the hardest dog to train, but I confused him so I blame myself. Pee pads do work for some people, just not us. . I started taking him out every hour that he was awake. He always peed, the poo was hit and miss. Most of his accidents were poo. However sometimes I would bring him in and 15 mins later he would pee again. Use treats and lots of praise and once you find something that works, stick with it. I would start out every half hour at first then slowly add a few minutes at a time. You have to be patient and consistent, puppies are just like potty training a child. . Your pup will have accidents, just use a firm NO and take him/her outside, say potty etc. I use the same words over and over again, go potty, go potty. I only kept Tucker outside long enough to potty, then right back in the house again. I wanted him to know that while we were outside that it was too potty, no playing. Now that he is trained we play outside.. alot. . Some people on here have had great sucess using bells on thier doors so that when the dog had to go, they would ring the bell. I havent tried it, but im sure someone can explian to you how it works and how to train your pup if you are interested.
Im a firm beliver in crates and crate training, X-pens are good too. All of my dogs are crate trained and go into them when were arent home and at night. For thier own safety and for my house. (my beagle likes to get into the garbage, eat my shoes and my sheltie ALWAYS has an accident on my carpets when left uncrated,and my toy poodle will eat my blinds!!)
Congrats on getting your new pup, they are alot of hard work but they are also the most loving little creatures!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!