View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
carlyn6884
Senior Yorkie Talker

Star outside while training/how often/crates!! :)

hey everyone, so puppy turned 5 weeks yesterday and i feel like i'm cramming in the info before he comes home so i have thought of a few more questions... (Just for some background info, I am crate training, and outside only potty training )

Ok so i am a stay at home mommy so i will be home for the most part, always, with puppy. I have never housetrained a puppy before let alone one with such a small bladder, so question #1 is.... How often should I take him outside?? Every 1/2 hour? Hour?

Next question. My mom told me not to take puppy out for walks or anything until he is fully housetrained. I know with a yorkie this could take a while, and my concern is this. When his shots are done and he can go outside for "recreation" should I really not take him unless he is fully housebroken?? My son plays t-ball/soccer over the summer and i walk a lot. I thought this would be great for socialization with all different ages of people... but if he is not supposed to be out until he is fully housetrained, its going to be a looooong summer. Has anyone ever heard of this? Would it be ok if he came with us wherever but I kept the potty treats consistant? Like to give him the same treat when he pottys outside even if we aren't at home? This is one of my biggest concerns b/c we spend a lot of time outside, and outside away form our house and my plan was to bring him and socialize him to different situations... but then my mom said this and i got confused

And last, basically just any advice as to crate training. I am going to start it from day one. I am home for the majority of the time but there will obviously be times i need to leave him alone (shopping, a couple of concerts we have tickets for, ect.) We really dont have an area to have an x-pen. Carpet and wooden floors that hubby wouldnt go for pee and poo on.... and i dont want to leave out potty pads b/c i want him to only go outside and not be confused... so the crate is definately what we will be using....

Thank you guys so much!! I am learning so much and really appreciate this site and everyone on it!!!!!
carlyn6884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!