View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
Lolapup
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindieRose View Post
Oh that is absolutely aweful! I don't care how attached to your dog you are, it is wrong to say that he/she is a service dog so you can bring it places! We are going through training with my son's dog Sunny to be an actual therapy/service dog, so this really bothers me. My son has a genetic disorder and that is why we are doing it. There are so many reasons why it is wrong to tell people you have a service dog when you don't. Service dogs (real ones ) are trained to not be afraid of things, including children running up to them, and although you should never just walk up and pet a service dog, kids do that sort of things all the time without asking, and if a dog has not be formally trained and bites the child, someone would look incredibly stupid in court telling a judge that their "service dog" just has this fancy certificate because they didn't want to leave it home while they do their running. I am sorry but this hits a nerve with me. That man should have just left his dog home like everyone else does. Gosh where do people get this sense of entitlement??
I couldn't agree more. My son (autistic/epileptic) has a service/therapy dog at school. Fletcher is HIGHLY trained and pretty much bomb proof. He can not only sense when a seizure is coming on, but he also assist my son with safety awareness. While some disabilities aren't visible, anyone using the service dog card to take their pet anywhere they go is very very wrong.
Lolapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!