View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Miao
No Longer a Member

She's been pretty good while transitioning through foods since I've gotten her early last summer. She is now a year and a month old. Stools are never runny and it was at most a little softer than previously at times. She was started off on Eukaneba dry free-feed and locally ground up chicken and bones raw diet by her breeder. When I got her, I had finished the little bag of Eukaneba her breeder had passed along and continued with the raw diet while putting her on Innova EVO red meat and alternating with their chicken dry formula. She was really gassy, and her stool had been really hard and dry. I had later tried to transition her to Petcurean's now! puppy formula and had to cook her raw and eventually just stuck with dry food and the occassional boiled chicken and even stopped that now. She did best on the "now!" formula and ate it without too much trouble until they changed the formula on the next bag I purchased. Before that happened, she had gotten some Orijen 6-fish mixed into her food but I hadn't intended to keep her strictly on Orijen but wanted the fish oils for her coat. Well, she had to stop the "now!" food because the new formula made her itchy. Her stool was fine. Her appetite was the same. Now that we're nearing the end of the bag of Orijen, we had decided to go along with her snubbing of Orijen. She's been on NB for a couple of months now and I like how it still has that fresh smell and not the "stale dog food stench" that some dry kibbles seem to share. Even that Addiction's Salmon Bleu smelled really yummy when I opened the bag but within the same day in the evening, the "treat" ziploc bag I had it in ended up smelling a little like the generic staleness and it had lost that light fluffy crisp "crunch" sound when she bit into it. But she'd still eat it as a treat but you can tell it isn't her favourite as she does prefer her real treats. LOL.

I have always intended to have at least 2 brands of dry kibble for her to be on so that if ever I get caught in a situation where I can't find anywhere to supply me with the one brand, hopefully, I would be able to locate the other. This way, it wouldn't be a whole new food to her.

I did not have my yorkie in 2007. I did, however, have my 12-13lb (11lb healthy weight) shih tzu at the time. And that was the last year of her life for the 9.5 years she had been my little girl. She passed when she was approximately 13-15 years old. She could very well have lived longer than that if, maybe, she hadn't been on Science Diet (regular, senior and then z/d) for the last 7.5 years of her life with perhaps a 6 month period where she was on raw and cooked organic buffalo and so forth. If only we had been more diligent in her diet and care. She's the love of my husband's furry life, my old man's favourite dinner companion , and our first "baby" together.

My childhood Tibetan Spaniel was on "table scraps" when we got him at 5 years old, and then we had to switch him over to cooked human grade supermarket lamb chop and rabbit diet for the rest of his life per doctor's order. Though I'm sure that wasn't the healthiest either for being pure protein, no supplements, a very unbalanced diet.

So, yes, I am familiar with the transitioning of their food and the possibility of runny poo and what have you.
Miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!