View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuff35 View Post
My cat Suki had struvite crystals in his bladder and urethra about 10 yrs ago. I noticed that he wasn't moving and was in a crouched position. I called the vet immediately and he said to bring him in. I brought him in right away and sure enough he said that his urethra is blocked and he couldn't urinate, so his bladder was very full. So they had to catherize him and he was fine for a few days. About half a week later, I noticed that he had the same symptoms again and called the vet at 11pm at night. He was such a caring vet that he re-opened the office and around midnight he performed the catherization procedure again. In any case, after a change of diet Suki never had a problem again. Is there a possibility that Hot Rod may have some large crystals that is stuck in his urethra? That's what happened to Suki and the Vet had to literally squeeze his penis to crush the crystals so that it could pass (I was there when he did this, b/c I was his assistant during the midnight catherization procedure). I hope everything works out for Hot Rod and that he returns to his normal self.
Wow, your poor kitty. It sounds like your vet was a very caring and conscientious vet.

Well, it figures, since I made the appt to take him in for xrays on Wed, he's been walking. He is still able to pee and it doesn't look as though he is in any pain. The vet said that there are still crystals present so we are going to xray to see what might be going on. I will get to talk my regular vet on Wednesday so I'll have more info. He is still running around like crazy, eating and drinking so whatever it is may have shifted (could be good or bad). Will be glad to get some definitive answers though.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!