View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl1022 View Post
I am looking into giving Theo Milk Thistle since I feel he needs some additional help and I have read articles online about it. Our decision not to go forward with anymore test or surgery is so heavy on my heart. I will always wonder if he had only one shunt or many and if he did would of the surgery would of he lived long after it. I keep reminding myself I am going with my gut feelings on this and he has such a personality from all the needles he has been stuck with. He growls when you go to pick him up if he is laying on the couch. Has anyone used Milk Thistle or any holistic remedies and know the correct dosage a 4 lb Yorkie should get and is it used on an empty stomach or with food. I desperately want to give him anything that would help and wish I could afford a holistic vet but everything is so expensive. We already tried one holistic pill our vet suggested but he couldn't swallow it and crushing it up in his food didn't allow the pill to have very much effect. Since Milk Thistle comes in a liquid form I thought that would be better. I need to be prepared for what may come so if anyone has been in my situation and has lost their little furry one to LD please let me know what I can expect in their last days. I keep praying he will have several more years ahead of him since he is only 1 but I just don't know what to expect.If I knew he was in pain I would put him to sleep but there is just no way of knowing. I also don't know if I should have his double teeth pulled since he does have a mouth full of them and that can't be good or will putting him under to do it kill him. This is all so overwhelming so please I you have any suggestions please send them this site is the only place I trust since I know you all have and love your Yorkies as I do.
If the pill the vet gave you was Denosyl, it is absolutely necessary. If the pill isn't doable, you can replace it with Vetri DMG (liquid).

The milk thistle dose can be found here:
MILK THISTLE

Lactulose should be given and possibly omegas (fish oil.
Vitamin E should also be used.
Sometimes probiotics and antibiotics are recommended.

The behavior change could be from going to the vet but it is also a symptom of liver disease. Aggression can happen if toxins are building up.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!