View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I can only speak for myself, but for me, it's about taking reasonable precautions without being overprotective. I find that it's easy for things to go on the Dangerous! List. Pretty much if you hear, don't feed this or that, it can KILL your dog, you stop using it and you probably pass the information along, even if there's not a lot to back it up. For me at least, at some point you have to draw the line, or your dog will never be allowed to eat or experience anything.

As an example, garlic is used to flavor many dog foods and is even recommended as a flavoring for picky eaters by trainers -- but it's now on the Dangerous! List, as are tomatoes. Most of our dogs probably drink flouridated water, since most cities put flouride in our tap water.

Different people will draw the line in different places.

The dangerous list contains things on it that can be toxic to dogs in high amounts as well as those things that are toxic in small amounts. For example, garlic while not toxic to dogs in the amounts used to flavor food; is toxic if the dog eats a whole bottle of garlic powder. It's probably toxic to humans if we eat a whole bottle, lol, I don't know, but the difference between dogs and humans, is a dog will eat a whole bottle. In other words, a bottle of garlic powder falls on the floor, your dog will lap it up, a dog did this and got very sick, and that's why garlic is on the list. So in a case such as this, you should get medical attention. Some things we don't know the exact amount that causes the problem, so it's added to the list by default. I do know that human toothpastes are sweetened with xylitol and this can be deadly to dogs in very small amounts, no tummy upsets, but it damages the liver, and you may not see the effect for 4 days. I don't know about Listerine and it's contents, but since there are toothpastes made for dogs, with flavors they like, so they don't fight so much during toothbrushing, it seems to your advantage to use them. Remember breath freshners are only temporary fixes, you need to get rid of the problem causing the bad breath, and in most cases it's tartar.

To the OP, while children's toothpaste should not be used, I have found that children's tooth brushes work well on yorkies, they are smaller, and the bristles aren't so hard. This is important because you are really trying to brush the gums.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 03-14-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!