View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Elista
Yorkie Yakker

Default Diabetic Shih Tzu, bad choice?

I mean, are we a bad choice for her :-)

I haven't posted in ages, as life's been a little upside down here. My 8yo daughter was diagnosed with diabetes, and between that & school (for me, almost done) my furry baby search has been put on hold.

I have finally started looking again, and hope to get a baby (I want a biewer) this summer as a graduation/birthday present to myself. The only problem with this, is I have started looking at rescues already.

Long story short, looking at small dogs near my zip code I came across a Shih Tzu that was so beautiful I just had to look. She is 5-10 miles away from me, 12 years old, toothless & diabetic. She has been through alot, and is in a foster home while waiting for her fur-ever home.

I am looking for advice, her bio says they prefer someone who has experience with diabetic dogs... and no kids. I sent an email asking if they meant no small children or no children at all. I do not have experience with diabetic dogs, but do with diabetic kids. We are already very scheduled, deal with sugar-free, blood sugar testing, and insulin.

What do you think my chances may be? Am I dreaming? I think it would be wonderful for Priscilla (k9) to live in a home that is already dealing with her issues, and wonderful for my daughter to know that she's not the only one with this disease... but what do you think? Do you think that it would be too much for us as a family? Should I focus on looking for a healthy pup instead? If I get this dog, should I hold off on getting a biewer puppy until Priscilla's time has come?

Here is a link to her page on petfinders:

Priscilla
Elista is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!