View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
WalnutHill
♥ Catherine My Love ♥
Donating Member

Default Update!

It has been a CRAZY day so far.

Okay, so the little man made it to the vet, who said I was doing everything I could, but there was no way to really tell what's going on with him until we get him stabilized. She sent me home with some injectible anti-naisea medicine and some antibiotics (just in case). She told me to keep doign what I could to keep him fed and hydrated.

As far as the fluids go, she said about 2 cc's in one place at a time, and keep pumping them in as long as they are absorbed. Basically, if the "lump" of fluids goes away, then give him some more.

He wasn't really moving or anything, and I kept giving him fluids, then I mixed up some beef liver broth and milk replacer and fed him with an eyedropper. He started coming around, and is now walking at eating the "soup" on his own from the bowl.

It's a pretty drastic difference.

Sorry it took so long to get an update - we have a female whelping - it's been bad - 3 were born outside apparently overnight while I was trying to revive our little 7 week old guy. Those 3 didn't make it, and she has been slowly having more all day - 9 living ones right now - biggest litter I have ever seen (largest I've seen is 7).

Anyway, thanks for all the advice - I'll be keeping a close eye on him over the next few days and I have also given his littermates some of the liver "soup" I made, just in case. : )

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens in the next few hours - but he is 100 times better than he was last night! If you EVER have a problem, the beef liver broth and sub q fluids are a life saver!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!