Thread: Liver shunt
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
DAB
Senior Yorkie Talker

Unlove Liver shunt

Hello again!
Here is an Emma (will be age 2 on March 26th) update. To review----Emma was sick over the holidays. She has had many blood tests which were sent to the IDEXX lab in Grafton, MA. All but one tested high for bile acid---over 500. She had an ultrasound done in January which did not show a shunt. The doctor was pretty sure that she did not have a shunt.The procedure was done at Tufts University Foster Hospital for Small Animals. Her bile acid number after the procedure was "normal." But, Another blood test done one month later showed the acid bile count was again high. My Emma has lot of energy and has not been "sick" since the holidays. No clinical signs of a shunt.

However, today, she went back to Tufts for a scintigraphy test. The doctor informed me that a shunt was found----an "unusual one." Tufts also did another ultrasound immediately after the scintigraphy test found the "little" shunt. I am not sure why. I am also not sure what is meant by an "unusual shunt" but I am exprcting a phone call later this afternoon after he confers with a surgeon and will be sure to ask about it at that time. He has contacted my vet and I am also waiting to here from him.

She has been eating Iams Low Residue since December when she became ill. Previously she ate EVO Low fat. My other Yorkie girl, almost 5 years old, eats that food as well without problems. I have been on this site inquiring about Evo. Is it too high in protein? Could it have aggravated anything? Should I stop feeding it to my 5 year old girl? After the dog food recall last year, I was happy that Innova Evo was never on the recall list. Now I just do not know. My daughter also fed Evo but decided to cook food for her Yorkie, Maltese and shihtzu after the recall.

So, I suppose the surgeon will say that surgery is the way to go. I am concerned because of what the side effects might be because I have heard horror stories about seizure disorders, etc. Emma weighs maybe 5 Lbs if that and my vet informed me in January that the surgery is intense. I am very worried. The doctor in charge of her case said sometimes surgery is not done. Tufts has found liver shunts, which are congenital, in dogs as old as 12 years!

Hopefully, I will have more information in a few hours. Then, if Emma is not still radioactive tomorrow (3/14), I will be able to bring her home from the hospital.

I know people on this site have had the surgery done on their little yorkies. has anyone had any bad experiences? Are there specific questions I should be asking the doctor/ surgeon at Tufts? I will have to get all the information from Tufts and my vet, but any advice/comments anyone can give me would be very helpful.

I love my little Emma so much. My 2 girls get along so well. They are so cute together. Did I mention their brother, the cat? They are like 3 peas in a pod just like the 3 Musketeers, "one for all and all for one."

Another question, should I inform the breeder? I know Emma's mother was spaded after she had Emma. Emma was the only puppy in the litter and it was the first and only time her mother gave birth. I do not know if Emma's dad has been neutered. He comes from an AKC champion show line. Emma looks a lot like her dad.

Thanks again. May all your Yorkies be healthy.

DAB
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!