View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Jo-Jo
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose
I think a male should be show quality, but he does not have to be a champion for me to use him at stud. People do not show for all sorts of reasons and have quality studs. I have 5 terrific studs over the years who were just too small too endure the stress of the ring..but they sure were nice little guys with great peds.

Some just jump out at me at 6 or 8 weeks...and I watch them month by month. By 4 months I am 90% sure. You have to consider the entire standard and not a few good traits. The male can sire hundreds of pups in his life time..he needs to have the pedigree, temperment and conformation to contribute to those pups.
Pedigrees are very important to me, just as important for pet quality as well as show..you can not build a foundation on a weak platform..you need solid rock or it can fall down around your ears.
Are you referring to bloodlines or show titles? What if you have a fantastic little guy without an outstanding pedigree or bloodlines? At some point someone in the line had to be the first...right? I'm not a breeder and I certainly don't know enough to be a judge of the breed standard but I think Riley has some pretty good traits and I'd like to know for sure before I have him neutered. Of course, since I'm no expert I could be way off base.
Jo-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!