View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Long post, but please tell me

that along with the excitement some of you also felt a bit intimidated and nervous when you got your first Yorkie.

I have been anxiously waiting for the day (forever, it seems) and I've read everything I could but honestly, I'm a bit scared. I've never been the sole responsibility for any living creature (obviously we've never had children) and the responsibility for our puppy's well-being is scaring me to death!

Reading on this site has been so enlightening in many ways but I still feel inadequate when I read of all the things that can happen. Just this week the posts I've read on grooming have alarmed me and the decision I thought I'd made is going to have to change due to more information. I had no clue groomers weren't licensed! How do you pick someone to groom?

The latest thread I just saw was on being in heat. I haven't found answers to questions I have about that in books. I would like to know an average age (I'm assuming it varies like human females) but also how long it lasts, and what besides TLC do you need to do for your girl? (Cleanliness I understand.) I have nothing to compare it to except human females but I'm not sure that's the best comparison.

Our puppy will be going back to our breeders while we take a scheduled two week vacation we had already planned pre-puppy. During that time, she's going to get spayed. I know I'll be a nervous wreck but I feel better knowing that she will have someone experienced taking care of her. Do I need to do anything special to prepare her for the surgery in terms of diet, etc?

I'm almost scared to tell you all the things I'm concerned about since I'm afraid someone will say we have no business getting a puppy. Except for church, at least one of us will be with her 24/7 so I'm not worried about low blood sugar but so many other things!

My husband thinks I spend too much time on this board trying to learn and absorb. He tries to keep assuring me that they are not as fragile as I'm imagining but I'm not convinced yet. I want our puppy to be a joyful part of our family and not the reason I have a nervous breakdown...LOL

Did any of you have this apprehension and nervousness? I don't want to turn into one of those neurotic owners who drives the vet crazy but I'm thinking I may in spite of myself. My gosh, it even took an hour or so to decide on the type of garbage can I thought was safe enough...one that locks when not in use.

I guess I'm seeing why childless middle-aged women don't have babies...LOL I just never realized what a whirlwind of insecurity this would cause. My word...I taught junior high for nearly 20 years and intermediate grades before that and I've never had this much anxiety! I think it's all because I know this living creature is going to be totally dependent on me (us) for its well-being. Oh, boy...

I read a thread recently about Yorkies and snoring. I'm hoping ours does snore so I won't have to get up to see if she's breathing...LOL

I know this is long but it's just another symptom of my nervousness. I talk and talk when I'm nervous. At least our breeder emailed me that our puppy is self-confident...apparently she's better prepared to be our puppy than we are (I am) to be her parent(s). Luckily my husband is more laid back but his main concern is that I will play with her too much....as if! I'll need those naps, too!
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!