View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
Miao
No Longer a Member

My girl came with her ears folded from the halfway point for both ears. When I pointed out to the breeder that the ears in the picture in the ad were up but I see they're down now... well, her remedy for that wasn't to tape it, though she knows how and neither was it to massage it, though she did show us we can do that and how... it was something I wouldn't recommend anyone do, so I won't mention it.

But after rectifying the mess the breeder started, here is the long battle I had had with my girl's up and downy ears. During the last spell of the battle, I had decided to not just wait for them to flop again after they both stood as I saw how the left ear looked a little weak as it got the least attention overall, so I left it taped with the triangular cut-out for as long as I could stand it on her. It didn't seem to bother her at all. They were always loosely taped with the cut-out under so it doesn't stick to the inner skin and it's lightly holding onto the outer hairs--very easy to peel off and she doesn't scratch at it and there's space between ear & cut-out so it can breathe well. It seemed she only needed the slightest bit of encouragement/support to make her hold her ear up straight all on her own. During this period and right after, when she didn't have the support on her ears, I made sure that while she was sleeping, whenever I see one folded, I'd "shape" it back to a standing/point position and she'd just find mama annoying and flip to her other side to sleep. This works out since she then would have the weaker one on the top/outside (not laying on it) so it stands up on its own anyway. I just make sure to "straighten" them all the time. And now I never have to do it again, but I have kept the ears trimmed except not at all during the winter months and it seems to have held up fine.

This spilled over to a little over 6 months of age and I was concerned that it would be too late to fix it when I had left it around the 5th month to go up or "unflop" on its own (the left ear) but couldn't hold off longer because of all I've read about how possibly by 6 months, it will have been too late.

Here are the before (PIC#1+2), after (PIC#2) and now (PIC#3) pictures. I found her cute enough with one up one down during her puppy coat phase, but knew I still would like it best that both ears stood tall by the time she reached adulthood, and I was worried I had only until she was 6 months old while I got her when she was 4.5 months already. I think the downsizing of the first picture has the dates a little mushed making them illegible. But there it is in case you were curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Question for thos who taped ears.-battle...ear.flop..2008-06-23..08.04.jpg   Question for thos who taped ears.-battle...ear.flop.b.2008-08-04..08-18.jpg   Question for thos who taped ears.-2009-03-05-pichu.jpg  
Miao is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!