View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbritt View Post
Thanks every one! I watched some videos yesterday that was very helpful! I made me a list of things i need to remember before i go in to the ring. I think i know what im going to wear, although ill probably need to run out and get a comfortable pair of shoes that look good with my outfit. I will be doing some practicing with ginger this weekend. If i remember correctly the ring formation will be "triangle". So really at this point the only thing that will make me feel better is practicing over and over again. I just hope i dont get too nervous and mess up, because i am nervous. I feel like i know the basics. I walk dogs with my right hand (righthanded) So I need to used to using my left hand, rolling the leash quickly up in to my hand.

Ok have a few more questions: Can i bait too much??? Is it ok to bait when she is being examined by the judge up on the table or should i not do that?? I think i will use the beef jerky (thank you Bravo916). Ill keep you guys updated on how the practicing goes this weekend.
A few suggestions.

Keep lots of mints on hand, the dog can smell your nerves through your mouth.

Wear what will complement your dog.

I was taught by ole timers.....so, this is a sporting event. Walk your dog into the ring and walk your dog out.

I know you see handlers brushing their dogs on the table, don't. It's rude to make your judge wait. Anyway they'll most like shake when you put them on the ground.

There is alot to be aware of in the ring....focus on your dog, the person in front of you and the person behind you.

Make sure that the shoes you pick don't make alot of noise. You don't want to be clomping around the ring and disturbing the other dogs and spooking your own.

Be aware some people know all the tricks to make your dog mess up, talking too loudly, using the squeeker toy too much....running into you.....so, keep aware.

Watch the judge and listen for instructions, if you didn't hear, don't be afraid to ask them to repeat.

Show your dog off to it's best advantage.

There is alot to remember and it doesn't become second nature for about 6 months. So, be kind to yourself. And have someone with experience ringside to critique you when you get out of the ring.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!