View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
mikeymikey
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default peace corps and yorkies

hi!

i frequented this forum a few years ago. but the further i progressed in college, the less time i had for yorkie talk. i doubt anyone would remember me, but just in case- i've posted an old pic.

i have a yorkie named baxter. i've had him for about... 3 years now? i rescued him when he was around 1 year old from a family who thought they wanted a small dog, but then didn't have the time to invest in him.

to update, i'm now a senior in college and i should be graduating (hopefully!) with my B.A. in cognitive psychology next december.

the problem is, i've always wanted to join the peace corps.

Peace Corps

for two years i'd go live in an under developed country. i would work with communities who need help with HIV/AIDs awareness/education and basic reading/writing skills. this has been something i've wanted to do since high school. i've already submitted my application and i've gone for my first interview. they're wanting to place me within the six months after my graduation.

this is a huge crossroads in my life.

i don't mind leaving my family for two years. they'll be fine. this is an opportunity to take an active roll in bettering peoples lives and representing one of the better aspect of our country in a time when we look kinda bad to the rest of the world. but the one problem with this whole situation is my responsibilty to my dog.

i love baxter so much. this dog is one of the most important persons (yes, person) in my life. he was a mess when i first got him. he was anxious and it was obvious that he was unsocialized and abused (or at least neglected, which i consider abuse). but now he's happy! he has a stable enviroment and i make it a point to cuddle with him every night before we sleep.

i feel such a sense of responsibilty to this dog. my parents want to keep him for the two years i'm gone. they love him, but they're just not affectionate with animals. they wont let him sleep with them, not even in their room. and they work all day. they wont be able to give him all the attention that i think he needs.

also, i feel like he's going to think i abandoned him. this absolutely kills me. that thought makes me want to not even join the peace corps. but then i'd be giving up an amazing opportunity that could open huge doors for my future.

my parents think it's silly for me to be so upset about leaving him. they say "he's a dog, he'll be fine."

but will he? i don't know.

i thought about trying to find another family to take him. but that idea just... sigh... i don't know if i could handle not being able to have him back when i returned. i know that's selfish. but i don't know if i could feel good about myself if i just gave him away. he doesn't feel like property to just give away, he feels like a child to me.

i need advice. this is killing me.
Attached Thumbnails
peace corps and yorkies-797439574_l.jpg   peace corps and yorkies-n26519401_31119831_8077.jpg  
mikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!