View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Copper Klinkner
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 049 Help: 4-5 month old yorkie sick

I adopted a stray yorkie this last weekend. He is such a sweet little thing and adapting well to his home. On Monday, I took him into the vet to give him a overall checkup and find out how old he was, ect. He got all his shots and I asked the vet about a bump on his head. (looked like a wart). The vet put a needle and aspirated and looked in microscope. He came back to tell me that Copper has mast cell cancer. The vet said that this is uncommon in dogs so young (estimated his age of 4-5 months, based on his teeth). Recommended removal of tumor with 2" around area to be taken away as well. This poor pup had been living in a pole shed, eating generic large breed dog food, the chunks that they were feeding him were the size of a nickle in diameter. He was full of dirt and mud, smelled like a barn. Now yesterday and today, he started having mucus/blood in his stool. I jump to the conclusion that he has systemic cancer....but maybe it is just the change in the dog food? Or could it be from the vet on monday taking a rectal temperature? So we are going to have him go ahead with the surgery to remove the mass area and at the same time have his neutered. The vet said that if all cancer is removed and hasn't gone to other areas of the body, that this could be "curative." Otherwise, he could again get another mass and eventually go to his organs. I am very hopeful that this has been caught early on, but also scared and sad. I couldn't leave the poor guy where he was......but at the same time struggle with his vet bills during these hard times. Just his shots and diagnosis was $150.00. His surgery is estimated b/t 500-600, dependent on how things go. I am sorry to go on and on, but I am really lost in the yorkie world. We have "fritz" who is an 11 year old cocker spaniel, who I am pleased to annouce that they are sleeping peacefully in the same room! I also have two children, my daughter who is 6 and son who is 3. They absolutely adore copper and have named him. Has anyone had any experience with any of this mast cell cancer? Thanks so much, Karen & Copper too
Copper Klinkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!