View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInSac View Post
I just got a Yorkie and I love him to death but his hair is just a big ball of fluff. I love puppy cuts and he's so tiny (about 4 months old) that he's still so close to the floor when he has to potty his tummy gets wet. So I continuously wash his belly and face too because of his tears.

So I scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday for his first trip to the groomer. Is that too early? I was reading other posts and people said their first trip was at about 8 months?

Help?! I did already trim his tummy back some but he's just a hair growing machine. AND he hates to be brushed out. So I'm worried he might not even give the groomer the time of day to groom him out.

Advise??
Since I'm a breeder/exhibitor/groomer...my situation is a bit different. I start getting them conditioned for grooming at 1 week of age; by shaving their ears (to get the weight off of them so they'll stand up), trimming their foot pads, trimming their little butts and clipping their toe nails. Their real grooming begins at 8 weeks of age. Getting them use to their baths, the blow drier and all that goes with grooming.

So, do I think 4 months is too young, absolutely not as long as all his shots are current. However, I would suggest that you speak to your groomer about not keeping him so long, 2-3 hours is ample time for a puppy to be at a groomers. He's still young and needs to have access to food and water. Make sure that your groomer is good with puppies, and makes this a fun time.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!