View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
maggerle
Inactive Account

Default English Mastiffs

My last best friend was an English Mastiff, named Pebbles (irony, eh)...It took me a year and a half to get another pup, as I was heart-broken, to the core, when she had to go...They are the gentle giants...Mine got along w/my cat, wonderfully...They slept together, when it was cold, and my cat even mourned for a couple of weeks, and didn't eat much, when our Pebbles died...Keep in mind, they only live 6-10 years...Mine was 9 1/2, when I had to have her put down, w/hip dysplasia...She just couldn't get up, anymore, and I kept her really slim and trim...Also know, that giving them water, in the house, is totally out of the question...They shake their heads and sling what I used to call "slobber gobs"...I'm an extremely good house-keeper, but I still run across one, every now an then lol...Pebbles gave me more joy than you can ever imagine, and more sadness than I thought I could bear, when she was gone...Also, they have HUGE waste, so find a food that creates the least, and be prepared to do clean up in your yard, daily, or you'll get to where you can't go outside...Also, keep a towel, at the back-door, to wipe out her "jowls", before she comes in, as she will definitely be full of water, grass, mud, or whatever she has managed to sniff around and will give her huge head a big shake when she come in...I hope your husband treats your new mastiff w/much love and kindness, and they are so sensitive and eager to please you...One more thing, I also had my pebbles on a farm (when I was married) and she was good around the horses/cows/chickens...Never bothered anyone, but was an extremely protective dog, if anyone came near the house...She never bit anyone, but she sure convinced them she would, if they moved any closer...All the best to you, if you decide to get one, and let me know how it works out....Love Maggie & Apple
maggerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!