View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
. . . .When I first had him, he loved all strangers and did fairly well with children until a particular 2 year old girl tortured him (she yanked on his ears and slapped him pretty hard...she's just very mean towards dogs). I did not learn about this until after the incident already occurred. However, he has since been around other children who are much more gentle towards him.

All it takes is one incident like this. It's so important to NEVER leave puppies unattended. You may need some advice from a behaviorist since he's snapping at children.

Eating poop is caused by different things, what works depends on what causing the behavior. Some dogs eat their poop to "hide the evidence", and think they have done a good thing when they eat it. That's why so many trainers say never to raise your voice when housebreaking, they might think you are mad for them pooping, and will then try to hide it from you. Pineapple works with some dogs because it contains a Bromelain that tenderizes the protein in meat, making the meat easier to digest. The dog will no longer smell nutrients in the poop, and will be less likely to eat it. You have to do it every meal, and add about two chunks to each meal. Don't start and stop, continue this for at least a month. Some foods contain easier to digest protein, and that why switching foods can help. Some people say that dogs eat poop because they need potassium, although I haven't read any real evidence of this. Some people say canned pumpkin works, and suggest you use one teaspoon of unsweetened pumpkin with each meal. I'm not sure what scientific evidence this is based upon, but people have reported success.

Join today and remove this ad!