View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
jrsygal37
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
It's called cherry picking and it is just is not right. Some rescues will not take the dogs they know will not get adopted. It might be because they are larger or they might have health issues. IMO rescues should open their doors to the little ones that have no hope. The cute little ones in the shelters are highly sought after and will be adopted. It is the sick, old and weak ones that are in the most need. Take a look at this little girl. She was a mill surrender and this rescue took her in, they are spending a great deal of money trying to get her healthy. This is what rescues should be doing.
Adopt a Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie: Sasha: Petfinder
This little girls picture should be hung outside of every pet shop in the US! This is were your little TEACUP Yorkie came from She is the truth in the horrible work of mills in this country. It breaks my heart to see pictures like this.

Shame on the miller that try to say they are a rescue because people are getting wise what a puppy mill is and the condition these little one live in. It is becoming a real problem and there are plenty of people out there falling for this dirty little trick.

I volunteer and have Truman my foster. A lot of the smaller Yorkie rescue have broken off from the very large Yorkie rescues. This does not necessarily make them bad rescues. I volunteer and foster for Yorkie Haven Rescue and they are wonderful. If you take a look at their site you will see all of the little ones and each one has a very different story. Some are seniors, some are young, some have medical issues and we even have 2 litters of puppies with their moms. Even they have stories that are heartbreaking. YHR never cherry picks, they look to help all of the pups that truly need help. Just about every one is either a surrender or from a kill shelter. If I didn't believe in what they do and stand for I would never volunteer with them. I was involved in another rescue and did not like what was going on so I left and joined a rescue whose beliefs were the same as mine.

I have seen some stories on YT about rescues and it makes my so angry that some of these people have been duped into thinking they were dealing with a legitimate rescue. They go into wanting to help and then are left with bad feelings, unaltered dogs, dogs that have been released too soon to their forever home. It is just not right and gives all rescues a bad name.
Good Post Jody. We just went through this with a so called rescue that advertised on Petfinder. I posted about it here. This particular rescue was buying puppies that were being auctioned off online through a site you had to register with. They were charging I think like $750 for their Yorkie pups they got and that did not include a spay or neuter. We did our homework and got them red handed and reported them to Petfinder. They have since been pulled from advertising there. IF ANYONE SEES a rescue that is less then reputable you can report them to Petfinder and they will investigate and have them removed. A true rescue will take the older or sicker dogs from an auction before they take the puppies. Their goal is to get the ones that are in the worse shape out first. Buying pups from an auction is not rescuing - it is just keeping the cycle going. Great post Jody. Elaine
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!