View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
geekygirl
Yorkie Talker

Default My dog is MEAN!!!

I'm so upset. First off, when I adopted my baby Einstein from his previous owner, I was told that I would be adopting a yorkie. The owner explained the Einstein intimidated the family dog, a toy poodle hence they had to rehome Einstein.

Well, as Einstein continues to grow, he looks more and more like a silky (he's 8 pounds now and is long with fully erect ears). Yes, I did ask for paperwork, but the previous owners kept on dodging the issue and ultimately ignored all of my requests. That doesn't make me love my silky less, but imagine my embarrassment after I brought him to all of these yorkie meetups and he didn't quite look like any of them.

Anyhow, sorry I had to vent.

My Einstein is now 7 months, and I adopted him when he was 4 months old. He did live with 2 children prior to becoming my baby. However, over the past month, I've noticed that he would snap at anyone who approached him, especially children.

I've taken him to the dog park and walk around outdoor malls to better socialize him. Yet, I'm surprised by his sudden aggression. When I first had him, he loved all strangers and did fairly well with children until a particular 2 year old girl tortured him (she yanked on his ears and slapped him pretty hard...she's just very mean towards dogs). I did not learn about this until after the incident already occurred. However, he has since been around other children who are much more gentle towards him.

But I don't understand why he suddenly developed this aggression. It used to that when I walked him around the neighborhood, he would ignore other pedestrians or even wags his tail at them. But now, he wants to attack them as they walk past by. He nips at kids when they walk past him. He grows at pedestrians and bikers as I drive past them.

It's really embarrassing to take him out in public since he's so mean. My biggest fear is that he will eventually bite someone. I don't know how to break this habit.

I've emailed the previous owners multiple times for the paperwork as I was concerned that Einstein's aggression is the result of generations of inbreeding. Not that it really matters as I will still keep him (he really does love me and treats me differently). But just for peace of mind to figure out why he's so mean sometimes.

I've taken him to puppy training class at Petsmart, and it did nothing! Well, I wasn't impressed by the trainers either.

Someone told me that this is normal terrier behavior and someone else mentioned that he's difficult since he's going through his adolescent years.

I've never had a terrier before. I've always had shih tzu, but I wanted something different and smaller. Thus I chose to adopt a yorkie, but ended with a silky.

Also, he still hasn't stopped eating his poop despite me trying forbid, deter, pineapple, and switching his diet to Wellness. Eww...I just don't like knowing that he eats poop when he licks me.

If anyone can help me with this behavior issue, then that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by geekygirl; 03-09-2009 at 07:12 PM.
geekygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!