View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
SummerSweety
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Confused Please Help me with Housebreaking Chanel!

She is approximately 4 months old. I bought her from someone who told me she was "housebroken" which apparently wasn't true but I loved her too much in the first 24 hours to take her back so I am housebreaking her myself.
Here is what I've been doing. I take her down every 20-30 minutes. (We live in an apartment on the 2nd floor) She sniffs forever but rarely uses the restroom. I tell her to "Go potty" and the few times that she does I wait until she has completely emptied her bladder or pooed and then I tell her how good of a girl she is for going potty outside, I give her a treat and scratch her ears. This has only happened maybe a handful of times. Usually she sniffs around for about 30 minutes and then refuses to do anything but sit and barks at me and then at the stairs. If I give her some slack, she runs up the stairs so I take it she doesn't have to go. About 5 minutes after being back in the house, she pees or poops on the floor. I tell her "outside" and take her straight down where the same process follows. Yet she still will not seem to go outside. It seems like she is holding it to go upstairs. She hates puppy pads, barks at them and rips them up, same goes for newspaper.
I have done a lot of research on all of this and I seem to be doing everything right. I don't understand why she will walk for 30 minutes outside and hold it until she gets into the apartment. I have even tried bringing her up for 5 minutes and then taking her down for another 15 or so. Whats worse is that I have a 2 year old that I'm potty training who I am seating on the toilet every 20 minutes as well. My walking her for 30 minutes causes me to miss my son's potty time and usually I come up to him having an accident as well.
What am I doing wrong with her?! And how do I fix it!?

Thanks!!!
SummerSweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!