View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
clm56
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsofdarknes View Post
Hello all im a new member here and have a couple ofquestions about my nursing bitch that im hopeing someone could answer for me!

My baby Geri had 8 pups last thurs morn at 1am and sadly 3 died but the other 5 are doing really well....Geri, herself is eating really well, pooing and weeing...she did have dihorea for a couple of days but thats all cleared now and she is generally happy and seems well...She isnt drinking that much water (she never actually has) but i am making sure that she is getting fluids by soaking her meat (im feeding her on fresh raw turkey, chicken and puppy meat high in protien) and then hand feeding her to make sure she is getting the water in with the meat.....and she happily accepts this!!(SPOILT ME THINKS!!)

She has a clearish pinky discharge and is keeping herself and puppies clean....The puppies are also putting on weight and contendtly suckling and sleeping....

My questions are not actually connecting with the above but I wanted to give an outline of general health and disposition.....

1. Geri keeps messing up her blankets.....she almost seems as though she is trying to cover the pups and then worries when she cant find them!!! What can I do to stop her rucking them all up......? As im woried she may cover the babies whilst im asleep and they will get too hot....

2. She has on a few occasions picked up the pups in her mouth and at times looked as though she is excerting pressure on them.....I may be wrong...when she is told No she lets them go and then carries on washing them as though nothing happened!! I did read somewher that nursing bitches can do this almost as though they are reprimanding the puppy for biting too hard on thier nipples...is this true?

3. Today when she has been out of the box for a walk around she has crawled under my low coffee table....stays there for a few seconds and then comes out again...I did wonder if she was going wee under there but nope....so can anyone tell me why she may be doing this? I wondered if maybe she was thinking of moving the pups??

Thanks in advance for any replies

Debi
~Welcome to Yorkie Talk. I am sorry to hear about the puppies not making it.
1. I wrap a blanket all around the tray of the cage and than a sheet over that, pillow case style. So my mom is unable to tug at her bedding and hide her puppies
2. I've had my mom pick up the puppy, but never hard. I think that is there way of carrying them where she wants them to be. I've never heard of mom getting onto puppies for nursing hard, but that doesn't mean its not true.
3. She might be looking for a nice quite spot for the puppies where there isn't alot of household activity going on. I keep mine in my office and I'm the only one around the puppies and Mom. I try to keep them all stress free.
Good Luck
clm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!