View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #25
MntSnowBabies
Senior Yorkie Talker

Its all about High School Science 101. Just Kidding. But remember those dominant and recessive genes. Thats what we are getting at here. Say you breed a dam with an excellent top line, to a sire that has a sub-standard top line. If they pups come out with the excellent top line that gene was dominant over that of the sire' sub-standard top line gene. It gets more complicated than that as well. From what I have learned so far is it is a lot of trial and error till you find two breeding capable dogs that carry both the dominant traits that you want to breed so as to have that dominant trait continue. Its still a 1 in 4 chance that one of the puppies will carry that recessive gene that both dogs carry. So once you find a dog that carries all the traits you want, with great genetics (comes from dom/rec genes as well) you then can look for another that compliments those or can even improve those of your foundation dog. Do some research on dogs your interested in, and then do background checks on past generations before you decide.

I'm no expert, just giving you what I have learned to look for so far. I'm still researching the lines of Ron-Del's dogs, the dominant traits I see that are consistant in each dog, and the recessive ones I also see.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!