View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescandy View Post
I am on the fence about this topic as well. I would like for my children to experience the process of our dog having puppy's, because I can remember from my childhood my dog having puppy's as clear as if it were yesterday. However I do not want to take that risk with our family pet and I do not want the added risk of cancers due to not spaying.
That is one of the very worst reasons for not spaying.

This is from the US Humane Society:

MYTH: My children should experience the miracle of birth.

FACT: Even if children are able to see a pet give birth—which is unlikely, since it usually occurs at night and in seclusion—the lesson they will really learn is that animals can be created and discarded as it suits adults. Instead, it should be explained to children that the real miracle is life and that preventing the birth of some pets can save the lives of others.

Myths and Facts About Spaying and Neutering | The Humane Society of the United States

And from the ASPCA:

9. Your pet doesn't need to have a litter for your children to witness the miracle of birth.
We've heard this one a lot. But you know what? Letting your pet produce offspring you have no intention of keeping teaches your children irresponsibility. Anyone who has seen an animal euthanized in a shelter for lack of a home knows the truth behind this dangerous myth. There are countless books and videos available to teach your children about birth in a responsible manner.

Top 10 Reasons to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!