View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoandBella View Post
Has anyone chosen not to spay? If so why?
I know all the benefits of spaying but what are the benefits of not?
I saw this article referenced in another thread and thought is was informative and plan to show it to my vet. http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

But I would like to hear from some who have chosen, for any reason, to not spay. Obviously I am on the fence about spaying one of my babies.

Any insight would be welcome.

Thanks,

Romeo and Bella's Mom
Yes there are a lot of risks involved with any surgery, no matter if you dog, cat, human, ape, or ogre. There are a lot of risks in taking medicine too, but truthfully, the risks are pretty rare occurances. Millions of dogs and cats are spayed and neutered everyday and live long, healthy lives. IMO, I would spay your dog to avoid the risk of pregnancy. God forbid, what if she were to get loose, then gets pregnant by a larger male? She could die very easily from an unwanted pregnancy. My advice, if you have a good, honest, trustworthy vet, then trust them. If they feel that your baby shouldn't or can't go through the surgery, they will tell you!

IMO, the article was a little one sided. I know the purpose was to tell you about the risks involved, but I almost felt like the writer was trying to sway the reader's opinion to not spay/neuter.

I still strongly believe that unless medically necessary or a person is planning to breed, then they should spay/neuter. There are so many babies in shelters being put to death every day because someone didn't spay or neuter their animal.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!