View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
yana
Yorkie Talker

Smile Hi everyone! Intro and Raw diet discussion

Hello i am new to the board, have a 6 yr old female, named Lada and a brand new male, just took him home yesterday, which we haven't named yet. To be honest, Lada never received all those "recommended" additional shots other than those received before we purchased her, and she is in remarkably perfect health, which i attribute to diet. I am a raw vegan and feel doctors and vets are great for broken bones, and sometimes for medical conditions, which proper nutrition usually prevents and/or treats. The new pup was born 12/30/08. They sent us home with a holistic syrup/vitamin mixture, cesar and purina mighty dog food, some dry kibble (blech, x 3), some antibiotics, and some hypoglycemic shock elixir just in case. Please no one yell at me for the vet/immunization issue, if something were wrong that we could not take care of and it required medical assistance, i wouldn't hesitate to contact a vet, i'd fly over!!! She had a pup of her own about 2.5 years ago and we handled the birth and the pup when she refused to nurse him. My mom, through the night, when i was 10, 22 now, nursed a kitten back from the brink by spoon feeding her, while she was wrapped in a towel, dying, a small amount of crushed human antibiotics in water (!!!)

What are everyones opinions on the antibiotics? Lada never was given anything of the sort, but this locations provides and stresses the importance. I do understand that many people do come in and handle the pups, so today we decided to give him less than .2ml (the dose they suggest is .3). I don't take any medication, antibiotics, flu shots, etc., yet, i am confident in my immune system, his not so much, especially with the diet they have had him on.

I am thinking a fully raw diet, starting tomorrow (rather, later this morning, lol) for both. Since Lada gets fruits, vegetables, raw meat less often than i would like, she loves greens and celery! , vegetables get pureed to allow for proper digestion and nutrient absorption, and i will be sharing my green smoothies with both. I was hoping for a bit of advice on the best way to start the pup. Chicken, first, perhaps?

I was appalled flipping through the booklet they provided, FROSTED FLAKES (among other similarly non-food items) they recommend!! goodness!!

I would greatly appreciate any opinions/advice that you brilliant people (i had been reading the board for hours before i registered) are willing to offer.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Yana

The photo is Lada , curious to know if the photo happens to remind anyone of a famous artist's aesthetic?

Last edited by yana; 03-07-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: age typo, she's not 66, haha
yana is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!