View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
JJC
YT Addict

Very interesting article on the subject. I'm going to look into it further because I always try to remain open about things.

I do believe in trying to work with other methods prior to a situation presenting itself. But if it happens the time to correct them is in that moment IMHO. Her dog bit her just as mine was trying to do at the time. My dog was rescued from a bad situation and had not had the training or care that he needed prior to coming to me. It was SO not his fault. I was working with him on this behavior and then one day he bit my friends daughter, then later tried to bit me again and that's when I did it. My vet at the time told me when and how to do it. I did not want to gamble on him biting someone again and have to put him down because I easily could have lost him the first time. I did it and had no further instances of agression. If an agressive situation presents itself I would do it again. I know I could get bit but I'm willing to risk it especially since they are trying to bite me anyway. It really did work without lasting negative effects and did not have to be repeated. My vet said I may have to do it a few times but it only took one time. It may not be for everyone but in certain circumstances I believe it's appropriate if it's done correctly. I have only ever felt it was appropriate one time in my life so please don't take this as me saying do it whenever you want to assert yourself. I totally respect that other people have different opinions, and experiences than my own on this subject so research it and do what you feel is appropriate. Whatever you do I wish you luck.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!