View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Yes Natural Balance openly admits to ethoxyquin being in their foods that contain fish. You can see a thread about it on dogster. Cooking/heat dissipates ethoxyquin preservative? - Food & Nutrition Forum
Just to be sure I email Natural Balance and received the exact same email.

PennysMum: I too am feeding a Canadian brand right now (Acana) and I have emailed them about E as well. On their food they say they do not use E, but that does not mean their suppliers do not use it. It is perfectly legal to put the statement on the bag as long as they do not personally add it during processing. I got an automated email saying they would get back to me with in 10 days.

Ellie May: That is exactly my thinking, why use it if it breaks down during heating? The whole purpose of its existence as a preservative no longer matters if it no longer exists after being heated.

I will be looking into this matter more thoroughly.
The companies that do use it are depending on it. As in, it HAS to work. So it can't be destroyed by a certain amount of heat. I know Science Diet uses it in some of their foods but they are very nice about answering questions, so maybe they would tell you if it breaks down when heated...

That is my concern with all fish kibbles. A lot of fish is preserved with it. Come to think of it, Ellie eats whitefish. It is preservative free but that doesn't mean that it wasn't used when they were caught.

I'm so tired of all of this.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!