View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
dogears
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
It is so irritating that you almost need a degree in chemistry or food science to figure out if you are poisoning your dog or now.

I have no answer but would really like to know because I didn't know Natural balance contained ethoxyquin at all.

Because dog food manufacturers who use ethoxyquin as a preservative add it before cooking (I would guess?), it would have to stay stable at the temp they use to be effective...
Yes Natural Balance openly admits to ethoxyquin being in their foods that contain fish. You can see a thread about it on dogster. Cooking/heat dissipates ethoxyquin preservative? - Food & Nutrition Forum
Just to be sure I email Natural Balance and received the exact same email.

That is exactly my thinking, why use it if it breaks down during heating? The whole purpose of its existence as a preservative no longer matters if it no longer exists after being heated.

PennysMum: I too am feeding a Canadian brand right now (Acana) and I have emailed them about E as well. On their food they say they do not use E, but that does not mean their suppliers do not use it. It is perfectly legal to put the statement on the bag as long as they do not personally add it during processing. I got an automated email saying they would get back to me with in 10 days.

I will be looking into this matter more thoroughly.

Last edited by dogears; 03-06-2009 at 05:24 PM.
dogears is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!