View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinolover View Post
A good friend of mine called me yesterday that she had bought a Pomeranian puppy. I went over to her job and started inquiring, she bought it from a lady that had come to the mall with 2 puppies selling them for $200 each. She fell in love with one of the puppies and bought him, she didn't ask about the parents, the dog has no papers, no health certificate, absolutely nothing. I have heard a lot of stories of sick puppies breaking people's heart and she is already in love with the puppy.

Also, I want to tell my friend how much responsibility having a dog is and she works full time and goes out almost every night till late, I want to warn her about all the expenses and care required to have a dog. I don't want to sound like I am nagging her but I am just trying to protect the future of the puppy...What should I do?
I was like her until I got my pups! No real reason to go home, but once I got them I LOVED being home with them. That might not be an issue for you to need to discuss with her.

I think the only thing you can really do is encourage her to take the pup to the vet for a check up and warn her that the circumstances she bought the pup under were not the best and to be prepared if there is a health problem with the pup. Encourage her to learn about backyard breeders and puppymills so she is educated and can pass on info to anyone else who may ask her. Like a lot of us who got their pups from pet stores (I did not, but I had no idea about the puppymill business), they came here, found out info about that and are now educating others who they know are looking for pups and won't do it again. I can't even step foot in a pet store anymore. All those faces that I want to take home and heal but I cannot support the business so I stay away.

If you think money might be a problem for her for covering vet bills, maybe you could help her find pet insurance that she can afford and will help with vet bills IF something should happen to the pup.

Don't be mad at her, just educate her, its the best way to get the word out. Puppymills sell 2 - 3 MILLION puppies a year in the US. Getting the word out, and hoping it reaches more and more people each year will help to make that number smaller and smaller!

Last edited by celstu1; 03-05-2009 at 11:34 AM.
celstu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!