View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
hasrv4fun
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl19 View Post
I agree too. I would take her out with a leash and stay with her till she goes. Then after she goes give her a treat! You will need to do this for a least 2 weeks, and every 4 hours or so take her out. Ivy was a puppymill and 6 years old, and not housebroken. But now she is very good! I don't talk to her till she goes and then you can tell them how good they are, and give them a treat. Also I had to do this with 2 dogs at the same time. But if you stick with it you will have a housebroke baby.
I totally agree with this EXCEPT - no treat - they need to learn to please you because you are their leader - praise and kind words are enough - the treat is not necessary and only leads to behavior based on food - not good enough- they should do what is expected by the pack leader - i have trained and house broke Yorkies for 25 years and in that time i can't begin to tell you how many i have trained - have never used treats - they get so dependent on them and as they get older the treats are often what makes them fat
Now mind you this is based on my opinion and experience - every one seems to have their own way of doing.
Go enjoy your baby
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!