View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Taramyorkie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Tara is well potty trained, I have always put her on the pad or took her outside and told her go potty, when she did it I yelled happily good potty, good girl and gave her a treat! I would only give her a short walk and said go potty when she was on the grass, give her 5 minutes and if she did nothing go right back. If she did potty, I would let her out longer. This must be consistent for them to learn it and not become confused. She would also go half half on the pad sometimes, but you just put up a new pad, sometimes they won't go on pad that has already been too soiled as they don't like to step into it. Just wipe it put him in a middle of the new pad say go potty here sometimes let him sit on it for a few minutes and then let him go. When he does ok give him again lots of praise good potty good boy/girl and treat immediately. If you treat 10 seconds later he doesn't know what it is for. Must be right after he did it for him this to become a good habit. If he does it anywhere else, tell him off straight away bad potty! and put where you want him to go, on a pad or outside.
Tara was potty trained by 16 weeks with occasional mistake. But again need to be strict and consistent and try to prevent mistakes. Don't give him full run of the house until he is potty trained. There's also diapers for doggies, but they are quite costly. I have used them on Tara in our bed when she was small now she uses them when she comes into season. I have only bought one pack and still got some for emergencies. Best is to take him out, Tara would sleep in the kitchen and so I would leave pad for her for the night but during the day I would take her out in regular intervals, it started 9 times a day and went down to 5 times a day by the time she was 5 months old. I hope this helps.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!